Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The End is Near!


Okay, here goes a quick analysis of five of the tools from this week. First off, we have Custom Dice Printing. This, in a word, is awesome. You feed in the data for the six sides (whatever you want: photos, text, numbers) and it creates a doc with everything facing the correct way, so that you can just cut it out, fold it up, and tape it together. This is a super tool for fun group work. For example, after reading a literature piece, give out a die to each group, each person rolls, and there are different questions/activities on each side. The questions can be different on each die, allowing for differentiation. Or, just print them with numbers and have a chart at the front of the class with questions/activities corresponding to the numbers. Or, have photos on the dice, using them as a springboard for a writing/speaking task. Or...you get the idea. Easy, free, and no login needed!

Next comes Test-Giving Software. This is good, but only if you have a fully connected class. Meaning, everyone needs to have a smartphone/wireless connection. So, this may not be useful for everyone. Also, it is similar to what we did with the quizzes with the Google Doc. The interface here, however, looks a to be a little more practical for classroom use. This could be used for spontaneous quizzes, too, as it is very easy for the teacher to create a quiz quickly.

Thirdly, we have Museum Box. This is very nice. Pick a topic, and the student creates a space with digital content on the subject. For example, a project could be a biography of someone, the student can upload pictures, videos, text, links or whatever. It is attractively organized, and fairly intuitive (at least on the viewing side; I did not try to create anything). Down side: there is a per school registration fee, I think about $100 per year. Maybe there are ways to share the cost, and there is some way to get a price reduction, but I did not go through all the nitty-gritty.

Here Kid "TV Reporters" we have something cute. It is basically a site that has videos of kids going around and guiding virtual school trips, like: "Meet a Meteorolgist!" or "A Kid's History of the Yo-Yo". There are a lot of videos to choose from. It is not made for EFL, but since there are kids talking, the language is not overly difficult. They also have instructions on how to go about making a video.

This idea LitTrips blew my mind. The basic idea is that it gives you, through GoogleMaps, a visual journey through a book. Problem is, after filling out forms and the such to try to view one of the "LitTrips", it was in some sort of weird file format that my computer didn't recognize. I did not have the time to try to solve the tech issues. If anyone out there figures it out, please comment, as the concept is very intriguing.

4 comments:

  1. Yehoshua -
    I was fascinated by the idea of the Littrips website you shared. When I clicked on the site, I immediately saw that they had an updated version of a "LitTrip" on Night, by Elie Wiesel, which is a book I read with my 9th grade class last month. I was excited to see this, but approached the site with a bit of trepidation based on your experience. However, I found that I was able to download googleearth, and download the LitTrip as well. What I've seen so far is very interesting, and once I actually figure out how to use GoogleEarth will probably be even more interesting. Maybe next year when I (hopefully) actually have some technology in my classroom I will be able to use this with my class!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad it worked out for you. I will try it again when I have a bit more time.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for clarifying Littrip and that sounds awesome.
    Josh, I was also excited about the dice maker but I'll tell you something cute which I discovered, and potentially even cheaper than printing the dice: around CHanuka time, the craft stores sell blank dreidels for kids to make projects, in different sizes. I stocked up on some and use them in the same way. It's a cute thing to use in an activity before Chanuka (you can do anything they want but they think it's cute to use a dreidel) and then continue using all year. I used it in reading games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the dreidel idea. In terms of the activities, remember that a dreidel has 4 sides, a die has six. This can be better or worse depending on the activity.

      Delete